How Doulas Help
Through many personal birth stories and researched studies it has been well documented that having a trained Doula provides women with a more positive birth experience.
The acceptance of Doulas in maternity care is growing rapidly with the recognition of their important contribution to the improved physical outcomes and emotional well-being of mothers and infants.
- 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin*
- 28% decrease in the risk of C-section*
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth*
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience*
For four of these outcomes,* results with a Doula were better than all the other types of continuous support that were studied. For the other outcomes, there was no difference between types of continuous support.
Here Are More Advantages
- Greater maternal satisfaction
- Increased sense of well-being & control
- Fewer medical interventions
- Decreased need for c-section & increased vaginal birth
- Success after c-section (VBAC)
- Shorter labors
- More confident & supportive partners
- Better mother-infant interaction
- Increased success in breastfeeding
- Decreased postpartum depression